Cambodia denies its troops planted landmines along border
Thai PBS World
อัพเดต 21 ก.ค. 2568 เวลา 16.19 น. • เผยแพร่ 19 ก.ค. 2568 เวลา 05.54 น. • Thai PBS WorldCambodia has denied that its troops recently planted anti-personnel landmines along the Thai-Cambodian border, near Chong Bok in Nam Yuen district of Ubon Ratchathani, where three Thai soldiers were injured, one of them seriously, on Wednesday.
In a statement issued on Friday, the Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC) claimed that the allegation, by some Thai army officers, that the landmines were planted by Cambodian troops is unfounded and has not been verified. It also expressed its regret over the incident.
The Thailand Mine Action Centre claimed, however, said that the landmines were Russian-made PMN-2 anti-personnel mines, which are believed to have been planted recently by Cambodian troops.
The CMAC called on all parties concerned to refrain from making unsubstantiated accusations and to cooperate in the investigation of the incident, to ensure safety of the border, noting that the real enemies of all countries are anti-personnel landmines.
The centre said that Cambodia suffered tremendously from the injuries and damage caused by landmines and bombs during the war and, as such, Cambodia condemns and strongly opposes the production, use and stockpiling of landmines.
It also said that Cambodia is a signatory to the Anti-Personnel Landmines Convention, or the Ottawa Convention, and has fully complied with its obligations, adding that Cambodia hosted the 11th meeting of parliamentarians from convention signatory countries and the 5th meeting to review the Ottawa Convention last year.
Additionally, Cambodia maintains its compliance with MoU 43, regarding border cooperation with Thailand, and adheres to the principle of transforming the common border between the two countries into a zone of peace, cooperation and development, according to the statement.