Thai Army rejects Cambodian PM’s border occupation claims
The Thai Army has dismissed the Cambodian prime minister's accusations that Thailand is occupying Cambodian territory and obstructing displaced civilians, saying the claims are unfounded and inconsistent with the facts on the ground.
Thai Army spokesperson Maj Gen Winthai Suvaree urged Cambodia to strictly adhere to the provisions of the joint statement to facilitate a lasting resolution and promote peace along the border between the two countries.
The spokesperson was responding to Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Manet’s interview with Reuters on February 17.
In the interview, Hun Manet was quoted as saying that Thai forces were occupying Cambodian territory, installing containers and barbed wire, and preventing about 80,000 displaced people from returning home.
Cambodia is “well aware” that the area in question belongs to Thailand, the spokesperson said. In the past, Thailand had provided refuge to Cambodian civilians fleeing conflict, but after the fighting ended, many civilians and soldiers did not return home and instead expanded settlements into Thai territory.
Thailand has repeatedly lodged protests through official mechanisms, but Cambodia failed to repatriate its citizens or resolve the issue.
“These individuals cannot be considered displaced persons as claimed. They are groups who have acted unlawfully and persistently violated Thai sovereignty, depriving Thai citizens of rightful access to the land.”
Winthai said Hun Manet further accused Bangkok of installing containers and barbed wire in controlled areas.
Thailand has strictly complied with the ceasefire agreement, he said, citing Clause 2 of the joint statement both countries signed in December last year, which stipulates that both sides must maintain their existing troop positions following the fighting, without additional deployments.
Thai forces operated in the areas in question to prevent attacks and threats to the lives of soldiers and civilians, he said, describing the move as an exercise of the right to self-defence rather than an attempt to violate Cambodia’s sovereignty.
“Once the ceasefire was agreed, maintaining troops in those positions was legitimate under the joint statement,” he added.
The installation of containers and barbed wire was described as a temporary security measure aimed at reducing the risk of confrontation and preventing clashes between troops and civilians.
Winthai also alleged that, in the past, Cambodian civilians had been used to provoke Thai forces, and that the measures were intended to minimise such risks.
Referring to Hun Manet’s call on Thailand to allow the Cambodia–Thailand Joint Border Commission (JBC) to begin resolving border disputes, the spokesperson said the Thai Foreign Ministry remained ready to use bilateral mechanisms at all levels to address disputes and strengthen border cooperation once both sides are prepared.
Such readiness depends on reducing military tensions, ensuring border areas are free from landmines and other threats, and the formation of Thailand’s new government, the statement said.
The Thai Army reaffirmed its commitment to peaceful dialogue while maintaining preparedness to safeguard sovereignty and protect Thai citizens, he stressed.