โปรดอัพเดตเบราว์เซอร์

เบราว์เซอร์ที่คุณใช้เป็นเวอร์ชันเก่าซึ่งไม่สามารถใช้บริการของเราได้ เราขอแนะนำให้อัพเดตเบราว์เซอร์เพื่อการใช้งานที่ดีที่สุด

Former narcotics police chief questions Corrections over Laota’s early release

Thai PBS World

อัพเดต 2 นาทีที่แล้ว • เผยแพร่ 1 ชั่วโมงที่ผ่านมา • Thai PBS World

A former top police officer who played a key role in planning Laota Saenlee’s arrest in 2016 has asked the Corrections Department to explain why the former drug convict was released after serving fewer than nine years despite being sentenced to life imprisonment.

Laota was arrested in a sting operation planned by retired Pol Lt Gen Rewat Klinkesorn, a former commissioner of the Narcotics Suppression Bureau’s team and was sentenced in December 2017. He was initially sentenced to death for possessing 20 kilogrammes of crystal methamphetamine with intent to sell, but the sentence was reduced to life imprisonment after he pleaded guilty.

Pol Lt Gen Rewat Klinkesorn

Rewat raised questions about the department’s criteria for reducing prisoners’ sentences and promoting them to higher classifications.

He questioned why Laota, who was initially classified as a poor-grade prisoner, was promoted to an excellent-grade prisoner so quickly and whether there were other factors involved.

He also questioned why the department had granted Laota successive sentence reductions and prisoner-grade promotions, resulting in six rounds of royal pardons and a substantial reduction in his prison term.

Pol Lt Gen Rewat said the criteria for serious drug offences should be reviewed, suggesting that offenders convicted of such crimes should be excluded from eligibility to petition for a royal pardon.

Laota, 86, was among prisoners released from Bang Kwang Central Prison on Sunday after receiving a royal pardon on June 3.

Rewat said police, prosecutors and the courts had done their utmost based on the available evidence.

The operation resulted in the seizure of 20 kilogrammes of crystal methamphetamine and firearms, as well as the confiscation of assets worth more than 1 billion baht linked to the case.

He said police officers had put their lives at risk and spent their own money while working on the case.

Prosecutors had also performed their duties, including pursuing asset seizures and conducting investigations, while the courts had ruled based on the evidence.

He also expressed concern for former police officers and informants who had worked with him in the operation to arrest Laota, fearing they could be targeted for retaliation.

He said Laota was the right-hand man of alleged drug lord Khun Sa and a major figure in the international drug trade, not an ordinary criminal, and that arresting him had been far from easy.

He said he had already retired by the time Laota was arrested but had coordinated with the police officers who took over the operation.

Laota is a former anti-communist guerrilla who later became a drug trafficker and was once known as a major figure in Thailand’s far North. He also famously opened a coffee shop bearing his name.

He was arrested along with several relatives, including his wife and son, in connection with the drug case.

Laota’s wife was sentenced to 25 years in prison, while his two sons, who denied helping facilitate the drug sales, were also sentenced to death.

ดูข่าวต้นฉบับ
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...

ล่าสุดจาก Thai PBS World

Social Security election panel lets 12m vote without prior registration

14 ชั่วโมงที่ผ่านมา

Thailand to contribute US$1m to WHO health security programme

17 ชั่วโมงที่ผ่านมา

วิดีโอแนะนำ

ข่าว ทั่วไป อื่น ๆ

Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...