Pro-Beijingers want Hong Kong district council elections recount and claim vote was 'unfair and not transparent'

South China Morning Post Dipublikasikan 00.12, 08/12/2019
Pro-Beijingers want Hong Kong district council elections recount and claim vote was 'unfair and not transparent'

More than a 1,000 pro-Beijing supporters held a rally in Wan Chai on Saturday demanding the government recount votes cast in the district council elections, in which the pro-establishment camp suffered a humiliating loss.

Some of the participants, waving miniature national flags, vented their anger at the media, and shoved reporters covering the rally at the Harbour Road Garden.

Police said there were 1,500 people attending the rally at its peak, while organisers did not give any estimate on the turnout.

The rally came after the pro-establishment camp won just 60 out of the 452 seats in the elections held two weeks ago, a huge drop from 292 previously. They lost control of 17 of the 18 district councils amid the ongoing civil unrest in the city.

Themed as "Loving the country, safeguarding Hong Kong", the rally started with the crowd facing north and singing the national anthem. National flags were distributed at the scene, turning the Harbour Road Garden into a sea of red.

Pro-Beijing supporters believe the results of the district council elections are tainted. Photo: Reuters

It was also held a day ahead of a march organised by the city's biggest pro-democracy group Civil Human Rights Front.

Organiser Johnny Tam Ming-kin, a non-party affiliated property agent, said the main goal of Saturday's rally was to demand a recount of the district council election results.

"We hope the government can recount and show us the election results are true. Many of us feel the elections were unfair and not transparent," Tam said. "But if they recount and the result is still the same, then we can accept that it is the pro-establishment camp who have some shortcomings and need to reflect on their strategies."

In response, the Electoral Affairs Commission said the counting of votes had been conducted in an open and transparent environment, under public scrutiny.

The spokesman said anyone could file a petition questioning the result.

As well as calling for a recount, those attending the rally held up signs reading

Tam said he was not disappointed in the government led by Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor, but neither did he have any expectations from it any more.

On the stage, he claimed some ballot boxes were unlocked during the poll and some election agents failed to monitor the whole counting process. But he did not say if he had filed an official complaint with the Electoral Affairs Commission.

No major pro-establishment parties attended the rally, but speakers included Tang Tak-shing, chairman of the Politihk Social Strategic, and restaurant owner and Youtuber Alex Yeung Kwun-wah, who was under investigation in Singapore after hosting a political talk, took turns and addressed the crowds.

Among the participants, who were mainly middle-aged and elderly, was a 40-year-old secretary, who declined to give her name.

"I am here because I feel the election results don't make sense, after all these years of voting, it is not possible that this is the result," she said, adding she saw reports that observers during the vote counting had not been present throughout the process.

"I don't accept the results, but I think there is very little a normal citizen like myself can do."

Hundreds of pro-Beijing supporters waved Chinese national flags during the rally. Photo: Reuters

Some of the participants were hostile towards reporters at the scene, with many holding posters that read "we hate fake news". At least six reporters from various media outlets, including pro-Beijing newspaper Ta Kung Pao, were reportedly surrounded, verbally abused, and shoved.

Protesters also surrounded a man carrying a Taiwanese flag as he walked by. One grabbed the flag and tore it off the flagpole, while others chased after the man as he tried to leave the scene. Riot police arrived to break up the scuffle, and the man escaped unscathed.

When asked about the clashes with reporters, Tam said people were emotional and many did not believe all reporters were real.

Copyright (c) 2019. South China Morning Post Publishers Ltd. All rights reserved.

Artikel Asli