Pontianak National Search and Rescue Agency (Basarnas) has responded to a report that a passenger boat carrying 25 people had sunk in Tanjung Sambar, Ketapang, West Kalimantan. Of the 25 passengers, 23 have been rescued.
Pontianak Basarnas head Herry Marantika said on Sunday that the ship departing from Madura to Pontiana sunk on Saturday at 1:50 a.m.
“At 11:25 p.m. we deployed rescue team 1, and today at 7 a.m. rescue team 2 was also deployed. Due to the distance team 1 arrived at the location at 3:25 a.m. and team 2 at around 4 a.m. today,” said Hery as quoted by Antara.
The search was conducted simultaneously by Basarnas, the Indonesian Navy, Marine Police, Port and Dock Authority and ship agents with a coverage area of 208 nautical miles.
“Track spacing a single nautical mile uses a rigid inflatable boat [RIB] from the Ketapang Search and Rescue [SAR] unit, two motorized fishermen boats and one Lintas 18 sailing vessel split into three sectors. The search will be carried out by sweeping the waters of Tanjung Sambar, Ketapang, while the weather is good,” said Hery.
He added that 23 of the 25 passengers had been rescued, while the rest were being searched for.
Meanwhile, it has been six days since the search began for four crew members of the sunk Mega Tug Boat 09, which has produced no results. For the search, the SAR team has been sweeping the nearby areas and diving in the area where the ship sunk. (tru)