MPR Speaker Asks Public to Support 2020 Hajj Cancellation

Tempo.co Dipublikasikan 13.11, 03/06 • Laila Afifa
The MPR Speaker Bambang Soesatyo called for would-be pilgrims to accept and support the government's decision on hajj cancellation.

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The People's Consultative Assembly (MPR) Speaker Bambang "Bamsoet" Soesatyo appealed to would-be pilgrims registered for the 2020 hajj pilgrimage to accept and support the government’s decision to scrap this year’s hajj.

“Because the government prioritizes security, health, and safety of people amid the Covid-19 pandemic,” said Bamsoet in his statement in Jakarta today, June 3.

“The majority of would-be pilgrims age over 50 years, so they are vulnerable to get exposed to Covid-19,” he remarked.

As reported previously, Religious Affairs Minister Fachrul Razi decided to cancel the 2020 Hajj pilgrimage through a ministerial decree No. 494/2020 due to concerns over the ongoing pandemic.

Bamsoet then demanded the government immediately prepare scenarios of the next pilgrimage when the situation is declared safe. The Golkar Party politician also urged the government to assure the refund of hajj funds.

He further suggested regional offices of the Religious Affairs Ministry be set up as information center posts for the public and would-be pilgrims affected by the policy to be prioritized.

“The government needs to involve religious leaders and the community to explain the sharia emergency to make the public understand [the reasons for hajj cancellation],” said the MPR speaker.

ANTARA

Artikel Asli