A 70-year-old Hong Kong coronavirus patient with underlying health issues has died in the second fatality since the outbreak began in the city in mid-January.
A spokesman for Princess Margaret Hospital said the patient's condition deteriorated and he had died on Wednesday morning.
Further details will be made public this afternoon at a joint press conference involving the Department of Health and the Hospital Authority.
Medical sources told the Post the man, who had diabetes and kidney problems, died at about 7am, but the exact cause of death had yet to be determined.
According to information previously released by the health authorities, the man lived alone in Shek Yi House, Shek Lei (II) Estate, in Kwai Chung.
He had fallen ill on February 2, and was sent to Princess Margaret Hospital 10 days later after suffering a fall. He was in a critical condition when his case was confirmed on February 14.
The man had taken a day trip to the mainland through Lok Ma Chau on January 22.
Hong Kong's first fatality was a 39-year-old man who had diabetes and died on February 4.
The man, who was identified as the 13th confirmed case in the city, was a Whampoa Garden resident.
He travelled to Wuhan in Hubei province, where the virus originated, on January 21 and returned to Hong Kong two days later via the Guangzhou-Shenzhen-Hong Kong Express Rail Link.
The man's case had been referred to the Coroner's Court to ascertain his cause of death.
Globally more than 2,000 people have died since the outbreak began, and over 75,000 have been infected. In Hong Kong there have been 62 confirmed cases of the virus, which causes the disease known as Covid-19.
Copyright (c) 2020. South China Morning Post Publishers Ltd. All rights reserved.Artikel Asli