TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - A number of people voiced their opinions on the internet regarding the flood that hit the National Monument (Monas) area on Friday afternoon, January 24. They accused the cutting of 190 trees, as the requirement for the revitalization project, had caused the flooding.
Monas was reportedly inundated by floodwater at around 11:20. Jakarta Transportation Department on its Instagram account @dishubdkijakarta said the water level reached 20-25 centimeters on the entrance of Monas, at Jalan Medan Merdeka Barat.
“At Jalan Medan Merdeka Barat, the Monas entrance, the water level is 20-25cm. #dishubdkijakarta," wrote @dishubdkijakarta in their photo description.
Jakarta Police (Polda Metro Jaya) on its Twitter account @TMCPoldaMetroJaya also uploaded a video showing the flood in the National monument area at 12:48. Meanwhile, the Central Jakarta Bina Marga Office said that the pool of water had receded by 13.00.
The flooding in the recreation area became a heated conversation among netizens, as some pointed out the controversial Monas revitalization project.
“That’s why just pull out all the trees, Sir @aniesbaswedan,” sarcastically tweeted @imloveddearly.
“Dear Anies, please return the 190 trees that were cut down last week. Floods have occurred in Monas 122 years ago in 1897 before Mr. Anies was born,” tweeted @translatorbali.
The Monas revitalization project is in the public spotlight recently since the project required the cutting down of 190 trees in the Southern part of the area. Moreover, Commission D of the Jakarta Legislative Assembly (DPRD) went on to discover various irregularities, such as the delay in the execution of the project as well as a missing permit from the Ministry of State Secretary, that has yet to be acquired.
Recent news suggested that the credibility of the project contractor was questionable as it did not have a clear office address.
Febriyan | Dio Suhenda (Intern Translator)Artikel Asli