TEMPO.CO, Jakarta -The Jakarta government is working with a number of organizations to hold events for celebrating the Lunar New Year's (Imlek) in public spaces. The series of festivals and activities are being held from January 15 to February 9.
The Jakarta Bureau for Mental and Spiritual Education chief, Hendra Hidayat, said that this year is the first time that the city government is coordinating the events.
Hendra said that the activities have a similar concept to a Christmas Carol; utilizing public space.
"Because that is the spirit: equality, unity, and brotherhood," he said in Jakarta on Monday, January 20.
A number of events have been prepared to welcome the Year of the Rat. From Lion Dance performances, Chinese food fiestas, decorating MRTs with Lunar Year elements, as well as Cap Go Meh festivals in Chinatown temples Petak Sembilan, Kampung Duri, and Jatinegara.
Hendra said the use of public space will allow non-Chinese residents to enjoy the Lunar New Year atmosphere. Below is the list of the events:
- Jan. 15–Feb. 5: Chinese Food Festival at Thamrin 10.
- Jan. 23-24 (17:00 to 19:00): Chinese musical instrument shows in front of Grand Hyatt and Taman Dukuh Atas.
- Jan. 25-26: Lion Dance at Thamrin 10 and the Car Free Day area
- Jan. 26: Glove Puppetry at Thamrin 10
- Feb. 3-9: Noodles Festival at Thamrin 10
- Feb. 8: Cap Go Meh festivals Petak Sembilan, Kampung Duri, and Jatinegara
Lani Diana Wijaya | Safira Andini (Intern Translator)Artikel Asli