The mother of a six-week-old baby boy who previously tested positive for the coronavirus was among 28 cases confirmed in Hong Kong on Sunday, taking the total to 890.
Health authorities also said most patients and medical staff who might had been exposed in the possible first transmission within a public hospital had been tested, with nearly half coming back negative.
Dr Chuang Shuk-kwan, head of the communicable disease branch at the Centre for Health Protection, said the mother began to show symptoms when she was about to move to a quarantine centre on Friday.
The infant was confirmed as the city's youngest Covid-19 case on Wednesday, with authorities saying he was held by a family friend, also a confirmed patient, who had visited a bar with a history of infections.
Authorities had closed bars and pubs across the city on Friday, as they accounted for more than 70 locally transmitted cases, Health Secretary Professor Sophia Chan Siu-chee said earlier on Sunday.
Chuang said 23 of the newly infected had a travel history. Some had been on trips overseas together, while 12 were students returning from abroad.
Local transmissions remain a deep cause for concern. In what might be the first instance of infection inside a hospital, a 93-year-old stroke patient at Pok Oi Hospital in Yuen Long was suspected of having contracted the virus from a Covid-19 patient who was about 1.8 metres (six feet) away. The two wards involved have suspended operations, and 225 patients and health workers put in isolation or slated for testing.
The Hospital Authority's chief manager of quality and standards, Dr Lau Ka-hin, said 60 out of 72 patients in proximity had been tested and 31 came back negative.
About 200 medical staff have been identified as possibly having come into contact with the elderly man, and 122 had been tested so far, with 82 given the all-clear.
A 46-year-old police sergeant at Shek Kip Mei Police Station tested positive a day ago. He was the second to be infected from the same station.
Chuang suggested a sink basin or toilet taps in a washroom might have been contaminated so people who had used it would be deemed close contacts.
So far, 120 fell into that category, including three who had demonstrated upper respiratory symptoms, Chuang said.
On Sunday, Bernard Chan, convenor of the government's Executive Council advisory body, said the city might have to impose a wider lockdown and close all non-essential businesses for several weeks, even after a range of venues, including cinemas, gyms, bars and karaoke lounges, had been shut.
Leading microbiologist Dr Yuen Kwok-yung, a professor at the University of Hong Kong, warned of a possible third wave of transmission as workers in mainland China were resuming work and could travel to Hong Kong.
Copyright (c) 2020. South China Morning Post Publishers Ltd. All rights reserved.Artikel Asli