China authorities on Monday said another person had died over the weekend from the coronavirus recently identified in Wuhan, bringing the death count to three, and reported infections in other Chinese cities for the first time.
The number of infections also jumped in Wuhan, the suspected source of the virus, which causes pneumonia-like symptoms.
Wuhan health authorities reported that a patient had died on Saturday and said 136 new cases had been confirmed - 59 on Saturday and 77 on Sunday - taking the total number of confirmed cases in the city to 198.
Separately, China's national health commission said that two people in Beijing and one in Shenzhen, neighbouring Hong Kong, had been confirmed as infected with the virus, the country's first reported cases outside Wuhan.
The outbreak is "preventable and controllable", the Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention said on Saturday via its website and social media. It said that the new virus was not severe acute respiratory syndrome (Sars), which killed more than 700 people around the world in a 2003-03 outbreak that originated in China.
Although the virus has been identified, its source has yet to be found and its path fully mapped. China's health authorities and the World Health Organisation have both said previously that they had found no evidence of human-to-human transmission but could not rule it out.
More to follow …
Sign up now for our 50% early bird offer from SCMP Research: China AI Report. The all new SCMP China AI Report gives you exclusive first-hand insights and analysis into the latest industry developments, and actionable and objective intelligence about China AI that you should be equipped with.
Copyright (c) 2020. South China Morning Post Publishers Ltd. All rights reserved.Artikel Asli