- ‘Money’ says video promoting another bout was filmed eight months ago in Saudi Arabia – ‘the truth is the fight will never happen again’
- Filipino accuses the unbeaten American of ‘using my name to get himself some attention’
Floyd Mayweather Jnr has announced a rematch with Manny Pacquiao is "never gonna happen" despite a video of him promoting another bout between them being shared on social media over the weekend.
The controversial boxer revealed in a post on his Instagram account that the video was filmed eight months ago in Saudi Arabia and that he was paid US$2.2 million for the short clip.
"There is a video circulating that I made 8 months ago about a "MAYWEATHER " PACQUIAO" REMATCH. I got paid $2,200,000 to make the video," he wrote.
He had worse news for fight fans who had been whipped up into a frenzy at the idea of potential rematch.
There is a video circulating that I made 8 months ago about a "MAYWEATHER - PACQUIAO" REMATCH. I got paid $2,200,000 to make the video. The truth is, the fight will never happen again. Now, swipe left and look at the money that got wired to me for the video. Now, who's the smart one ? I'm making millions just for 10 second video drops.
A post shared by Floyd Mayweather (@floydmayweather) on Aug 19, 2019 at 12:33pm PDT
"The truth is, the fight will never happen again. Now, swipe left and look at the money that got wired to me for the video. Now, who's the smart one? I'm making millions just for 10 second video drops."
Pacquiao had shared the original video with the comment: "Looks like @FloydMayweather is using my name again to get himself some attention. #FunnyMoney"
A post shared by Manny Pacquiao (@mannypacquiao) on Aug 19, 2019 at 8:16am PDT
The 50-0 American denied the possibility of a rematch in an article published by the FightHype website soon after the "old" video began circulating before commenting on his Instagram account.
Mayweather and Pacquiao battled it out over 12 rounds in a 2015 contest promoted as the "Fight of the Century", with "Money" winning by unanimous decision.
The pair recently topped boxing website BoxRec's list of the greatest fighters of all time, with Mayweather top and Pacquiao second.
A post shared by Floyd Mayweather (@floydmayweather) on Aug 19, 2019 at 12:18pm PDT
Pacquiao beat Keith Thurman last month to claim the WBA welterweight title at 40 years old, but his team have turned down a rematch with "One Time".
"We want (Floyd) Mayweather," Sean Gibbons, the new president of MP Promotions, told The Philippine Star.
While a Mayweather-Pacquiao rematch seems unlikely, Saudi Arabia will reportedly host Anthony Joshua's blockbuster rematch against Andy Ruiz Jnr, who took the British heavyweight's world titles in one of boxing's biggest upsets in June.
Copyright (c) 2019. South China Morning Post Publishers Ltd. All rights reserved.