Eng

Coronavirus: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology cancels student exchange programmes, citing uncertainty overseas even by September

South China Morning Post
發布於 2020年04月07日04:04 • Chan Ho-him thomas.chan@scmp.com
  • It says it is unable to rule out if university campuses will still be plagued by Covid-19 in six months
  • Five other local universities say they are still monitoring the situation while two have not replied to inquiries
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology in Clear Water Bay. Photo: Winson Wong

The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) has cancelled its student exchange programmes in the first half of the next academic year with the world in the grip of the coronavirus.

In an email to students on Monday, the university said it had made the "difficult decision" to suspend all undergraduate exchange programmes for the semester between September and December, as students who were previously granted offers would have had these withdrawn.

廣告(請繼續閱讀本文)

"Universities and students around the world are facing exceptional challenges with the running of student exchange programmes," the university's Office of Global Learning said.

Interior of HKUST. Photo: Roy Issa

The university, located in Clear Water Bay with about 230 exchange partners in 36 countries, said many students who went on exchange programmes during the current spring term had been scrambling to return to Hong Kong after their programmes were cut short.

廣告(請繼續閱讀本文)

"Cities are locked down, students recalled due to travel advisories, or inability to travel due to suddenly imposed restrictions. In addition to students' disappointment, their academic progression was severely impacted," the email read.

We cannot rule out that Covid-19 will still be lingering and affecting university campuses in six months' timeHKUST

"Moreover, travel insurance is unlikely to cover your financial loss from trip cancellations as a result of this situation. We do not wish for this to occur to you … We cannot rule out that Covid-19 will still be lingering and affecting university campuses in six months' time, so we feel it necessary to communicate this decision to you now."

廣告(請繼續閱讀本文)

HKUST did not provide the total number of affected students when contacted by the Post.

Universities in Hong Kong had previously suspended some of the current semester's exchange programmes amid the months-long anti-government protests. With authorities imposing a red travel alert for trips to all foreign countries last month, most outbound exchange programmes for the spring term have also been suspended.

University of Hong Kong final-year medical students sit exams amid pandemic

The University of Hong Kong, City University, Polytechnic University, Education University and Lingnan University said they would continue to monitor the situation closely and review further arrangements for their exchange programmes in the fall accordingly. The city's two other publicly-funded universities did not reply by press time.

Jeremy Tsang, a second-year student at HKUST who was originally set to go on an exchange programme in September to Germany, said the university's decision to cancel the programmes was understandable but disappointing.

"I was hoping to see the world, try living independently and experience the different cultures of another country. It's a great disappointment for me that these plans will not be realised," Tsang said.

"Still, I think it's necessary to cancel the exchange programmes, since a lot of such students would be heading to the United States or Europe, and it is hard to say for sure whether the situation there can be fully contained by September."

He added that he felt the university could offer students better contingency plans, as they would now have to reapply for the exchange programmes next spring.

Copyright (c) 2020. South China Morning Post Publishers Ltd. All rights reserved.

查看原始文章

更多 Eng 相關文章

Chinese designer creates stars of love, hope
XINHUA
Dining’s greatest misunderstanding: The truth about MSG
Tatler Hong Kong
Football fever drives integrated development of culture, sports, and tourism in NE China's Yanbian
XINHUA
World-Renowned Composer Joe Hisaishi Returns for Spectacular Collaboration with Singapore Symphony Orchestra
PR Newswire (美通社)
Sigenergy's ESG Report: Driving Sustainability and Responsible Growth
PR Newswire (美通社)
U.S. behind cyberattacks against China during Asian Winter Games: FM
XINHUA
The 2nd Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area Education Integration and Innovation Summit Concludes Successfully
PR Newswire (美通社)
Agoda Reveals Top Family-Friendly Local Getaways This Summer Break
PR Newswire (美通社)
Tronsmart Gears Up for Its 12th Anniversary with Innovative Product Launch in Vietnam
PR Newswire (美通社)
Farmmi Regains Compliance with NASDAQ Minimum Bid Price Requirement
PR Newswire (美通社)
FinVolution Engages in Fintech Globalization Talks with UN and Pakistani Officials
PR Newswire (美通社)
South African delegation returns from U.S. visit
XINHUA
GLOBALink | Myanmar earthquake survivors recall moments of terror
XINHUA
Update: China urges all parties in Myanmar to ensure safety of relief workers, supplies
XINHUA
Xinhua News | Xi, BiH leader Cvijanovic exchange congratulations over 30th anniversary of diplomatic ties
XINHUA
DeepSeek-powered translation service aids Myanmar earthquake rescue
XINHUA
GLOBALink | Washington's tariff rampage raises widespread concerns, opposition
XINHUA
Update on Myanmar Earthquake; Highway Holdings Maintains Normal Operations with No Damage or Loss of Life
PR Newswire (美通社)
A Sole Mobile Operator's Race to Reconnect Myanmar After Earthquake
PR Newswire (美通社)
Xinhua Commentary: When Taiwan's Lai plays with fire, don't blame the smoke
XINHUA